Parsis were early pioneers of Singapore who were Philanthropists and contributed to the economic prosperity of Singapore.
In early Singapore several Parsis migrated here in 1829 and became merchants of some standing. Cursetjee was a well-known Parsi and a partner and founder of the store of John Little in Raffles Place. Mount Wallich was known earlier as Cursetjee's Hill. John Palmer (Palmer Road named after him) was originally a Calcutta merchant (Mount Palmer later became fort Palmer) went bankrupt in 1827 and sold part of the Hill to a Parsi who turned it into a Parsi burial ground.
In June 1864, the Parsi firm of Byramjee Hormusjee Cama and Company started a school for the teaching of English in Tanjong Pagar. The school functioned for several years at the personal expense of Cama as a free school for Chinese children and others. End of the first month there were 103 pupils mostly Chinese. It closed after his death.
Mistri, a Parsi, started the Phoenix Aerated Waters Factory; there was another, the Framroz Aerated Waters factory. It was Navroji Rustomji Mistri who generously donated the Children's Ward in the Singapore General Hospital and the plaque was laid in the ward by his brother H.R Mistri.
The Parsis are followers of one of the World's oldest religions - Zoroastrianism. Today they number about 100 many of whom are notable personalities in the business and industrial communities. They are represented in our Inter-Religious Organisation of Singapore.